Sunday, August 30, 2015

Humbled in His service...



The tusunami of 2004 has left an eternal impact on me.  Being part of the Disaster Relief Ministry of our agency allows me an outlet for the incredible need that hits the world in the most dire of circumstances.  I thank God for the ability to be a part of this amazing ministry!

I looked into the eyes of a man who had endured much.  He looked back at me with eyes that were haunted with the empty eyes of one who had lost much.  His face was barren…barren of hope and light, and beauty.  Here was a face of one who had seen his family lost in front of his eyes.  He held in one hand the hand of his child, and in the other, the hand of his beloved wife, knowing that only one life would be saved today.  The waves of the tsunami rocked his world, and hit with an unyielding fury and power that could not be denied.  Wave after waved rocked his world, and he clung desperately to the people who meant the most in his world.  When he looked at the eyes of his wife, all he could see was the life of the woman who had held him captive these many years…who had given birth to his sweet girl…who ensured that life would go on.  In his left hand was the two year old girl who meant everything to him…was the assurance that his name would not be lost…that his life – in her – would continue.  He knew, in that moment, that he could not possibley hold on to both hands.  So he looked at his sweet wife KNOWING what the decision he made meant, but a decision she would have made without a second guess…he let go the hand of his sweet wife.  The mother of his child…the mate he had found after a life time of seeking.  Knowing that she would have made the same decision – save the life of our child…the life we had created…the life that had hope and a chance.

These are lives that have been touched with the Disaster Relief ministry I have been involved in.  The lives that I don’t even know how to address…how to comfort…how to relate to.  But God has placed these people into my life and has given me a glimpse of what He has for me…how He has allowed me a moment to love someone – someone I don’t know – someone that just needs a hug – someone that God has placed in my life…being a missionary has had such a huge impact on my life.  It has allowed me a brief glimpse into the lives that I have touched.  Thank you God for giving me the ability to look outside of myself…to look beyond what I want, and to seek what you would have for me in caring for those you place in my path.  I pray that wherever or whenever you put these people into my life I will respond.

 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did n`ot do for me.’

Matthew 25:42-45

No comments: