Friday, April 11, 2014

Foot Washing

I have reported on this sweet man before. He arrived to our clinic with a severe wound on his leg.  I provided him with some socks to protect his feet.  He returned again for additional wound care, and while I was caring for his wound I took the time to look at the rest of his foot.  It was clear that he had been unable to wash his foot or trim his nails in a long long time.  It is times like this where being a nurse isn't about delivering medicine, drawing blood, or giving instuctions.  It is times like this where it is about connecting with someone, offering the gift of touch, or, a time like this, to simply wash someone's foot that hadn't been washed in months.  To trim nails, and give care that is not necessarily about physical care, but emotional and spiritual care.  It is times like this that I am privileged to be a nurse.

Matthew 25:34-40 (Do for the least of theses)

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

John 13:10-17 (foot washing)

10 Jesus answered, “Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean. And you are clean,though not every one of you.” 11 For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.

12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13 “You call me ‘Teacher’and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16 Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

No comments: