Monday, December 15, 2008

Cough...cough...cough...

So, some of you may have heard my woes about my allergies. Living in Sacramento, I never suffered from the beasts - but here - in beautiful Honduras, they have come alive! So - take a gander at this picture and tell me what you see....




Peeling paint is what you say! But - WHY is it peeling? Well...let's take a closer look...




Yes, those are the inhabitants on my wall - mushrooms - shrooms (as we call them) - little devils of mold and fungus that crawl UNDER the paint, on TOP of the cement, and oh so carefully grow their way along the wall, peeling off the paint as they go. It's a constant fight between mammal and fungus - one, unfortunately, I think we are doomed to lose. But fight we do - wiping the walls with bleach to slow the growth. However, one day I am sure I will see an entire gray wall where paint had previously been - the minuscule creatures having won the battle.

1 comment:

Billy and Laurie said...

Well, maybe you should move to beautiful Huancayo, Peru, where the humidity is MAYBE 10% and it NEVER is hot enough to sweat. We really are sorry about your fungus problem - that's pretty gross.

Love y'all!!!