Monday, November 3, 2008

Reformation Day

The 31st of October is celebrated as Reformation Day in our house - the day commemorating when Martin Luther posted the 95 theses on the doors of a church in Wittenberg - the event created a controversy between Luther and those allied with the Pope over a variety of doctrines and practices. When Luther and his supporters were excommunicated in 1520, the Lutheran tradition was born. This in turn would later ease the creation of the Reformed and Anabaptist traditions as well. At our home church in Elk Grove, CA - we have celebrated Reformation Day for a number of years, and we continued this celebration in Costa Rica last year. However, this year, none of our fellow missionaries in the area seemed very interested in celebrating this event. Ah well - so we had a quiet evening at home. As our choices of costumes was very limited with what Madison brought with her - she dressed up as a bat...I know...not very reformed...but the best costume we could come up with. She carved her pumpkin after Jack Skellington.


Jack Skellington


Madison's pumpkin of Jack Skellington

2 comments:

Moorea said...

Hey Erin,
'Been a while since I stooped by. I can see you are all doing just dandy.
I really liked your "You know you are a missionary when..." list.

God is providing equipment and medicine you are flourishing. Awesome. I really enjoy the videos of your experiences (baleadas, needles, etc.)
I do not comment often, but I am praying for your ministry.

Love, Moorea

Mateo said...

Hey I knew nothing of your Reformation Day Celebration or I would have shown up dressed as an Amishman.